Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Self=Portrait, Enclosed Spaces


My hands, Nikki Giovanni's poem.

POEM
(For Nina)

We are all imprisoned in the castle of our skins
and some of us have said so be it
if i am in jail my castle shall become
my rendezvous
my courtyard will bloom with hyacinths and jack-in-the-pulpits
my moat will not restrict me but will be filled
with dolphins sitting on lily pads and sea horses ridden by
starfish
goldfish will make love
to Black mollies and color my world Black Gold
the vines entwining my windows will grow butterflies
and yellow jackets will buzz me to sleep
the dwarfs imprisoned will not become my clowns
for me to scorn but my dolls for me to praise and fuss
with and give tea parties to
my gnomes will spin cloth of spider web silkness
my wounded chocolate soldiers will sit in evening coolness
or stand gloriously at attention during that midnight sun
for i would have no need of day patrol
if i am imprisoned in my skin let it be a dark world
with a deep bass walking a witch doctor to me for spiritual
consultation
let my world be defined by my skin and the skin of my
people
for we spirit to spirit will embrace
this world.

7 comments:

paris parfait said...

Beautiful - the poem and the illustration. I hadn't read this poem before - thank you!

k said...

oh, yes!

mareymercy said...

Great poem, love the illustration too!

Joyce Ellen Davis said...

It's crooked. But, o well....

Tammy Brierly said...

WOW! You drew those hands? Excellent poem to go with your amazing drawing.

k said...

It's BETTER crooked! Much! It's just right.

Joyce Ellen Davis said...

Actually its a xerox of my hands...is that cheating? I can't draw that good. Glad you all like the Nikki G. Poem.