Saturday, June 30, 2007
These first three pictures are of my two little Minnesota dudes at the lake. Can you remember filling a bucket with sand ~ the satisfaction of the shovel scooping and emptying, scooping and emptying, the feel of the cold waves lapping at your toes, the sun on your shoulders? Look how the water breaks the sun into shining reflections if itself, a hundred tiny suns floating within your reach!
The last two were taken at Disneyland ~ Chime ringing the pirate ship's bell, and both boys on the Fantasyland carousel. Yes!
Chime is saying to jubilant LIFE with his upraised fist, Yes! I am here! Bring it on! Yes!
Thursday, June 28, 2007
How beautifully the child I carry on my back
teaches me to become a horse.
How quickly I learn to stay
between shafts, blinders, and whips,
working the plough
and the wagon loaded with hay,
or to break out of trot and run
til we're flying through cold streams.
He who kicks my commands
knows I am ten times his size
and that I am servant to small hands.
It is in mowed fields I move best,
watching the barn grow toward me
the child quiet, his sleep piled like hay
on my back as we slip over the dark hill
and I carry the sun away.
--Nancy Willard, "Water Walker."
Tuesday, June 26, 2007
Here's another very old tree, from Cove Fort, Utah, over 150 years old. They have all these little saplings growing from its roots that they are nurturing, so when the tree dies, they will replant with them!
My great grandpa used to drive a stagecoach from Scipio to Cove Fort back in the day. When one lady passenger complained that it took a pretty poor driver to hit every hole in the road, he is reported to have said, "No ma'm. It takes a damn good driver to hit them all!" This tree was here when he was!
Saturday, June 23, 2007
Friday, June 22, 2007
(And, check out Ren.Kat at sidestepping real, who has confessed that she....)
The rules come first:
1. Each player starts with 8 random facts/habits about themselves.
2. People who are tagged need to write their own blog about their 8 things and post these rules.
3. List 8 people you choose to tag.
4. Leave them a comment telling them they're tagged and to read your blog.
* * * *
1. Like ren.kat, every time I go to a live performance the old thespian in me wants to leap up on the stage and join them. And when the show is over, I always go away with this ache in the pit of my stomach, a hole, a void. But it's not as bad as it used to be.
2. I have been, among other things, a nun (twice) and a stripper. :D
3. I need glasses to read.
4. I eat when I am bored. Or sad. Or happy. It doesn't even have to taste good. Old soda crackers. Cold spaghetti. That sort of thing.
5. Let's see....I have almost as many shoes as Imelda. At least half of them I have not worn for a year or more. Some of them have no mate. (I went through them yesterday and I will get rid of many of them. I will.)
6. My closet is full of things I have not worn since 1979, that no longer fit. (I have a real phobia about keeping things I might need someday.)
7. I am not a willing housekeeper, and I am not a good cook (although I do enjoy eating!)
8. Ummm, I absolutely LOVE quantum physics (even tho' I can't understand most of what I read, I LOVE speculating about 16 dimensions and alternate universes and things existing in two (or more) places at once!)
And the 8 of y'all, with love:
Pris at Songs To A Midnight Sky
Maureen at Raven's Nest
Liz at be present, be here
Dana at sublimation
Chiefbiscuit at As It Happens
Turquoise Cro at Cro Stuff
Pam at Mind Trips
Rose at Live Laugh
(And Ren.Kat, people at the University of Wisconsin-MAdison have found a speck of a zircon crystal believed to be older than dirt, in fact, it is the oldest known piece of earth, at about 4.4 billion years old. So, to answer your question, this is it--the oldest thing ever. Besides me.)
Wednesday, June 20, 2007
So, it was 43 years ago yesterday, at this very place, where we said our "I will's." And I still will!
There are heroes in the seaweed
There are children in the morning
They are leaning out for love
And they will lean that way forever
Tuesday, June 12, 2007
Monday, June 04, 2007
Saturday, June 02, 2007
I borrowed this idea from January, Choir-girl, Up and Comer, Democrat, Good-cooker, and Poet-Mom, and had fun doing it!
* * * *
Latter-Day Saint*Mormon*Child of God*Desert Rat*Californian*Brownie* Girl Scout*Girlfriend*Loner*
*President of Art Club*Artist*Grand Prize Winner*Sweepstakes Winner*President of Drama Club*Graduate*Best Friend*Joycie-My-Joycie*Juice*Beatnik*Bohemian*Flower Child*Single*Passive*Agressive*Actress*New Girl*Not A Bulldog*Married*Newlywed*Mrs.*That Girl*That Lady*That Woman*Wife*Sister-in-Law*Daughter-in-Law*Joy*Poet*Author*Writer
*Cancer Victim*Patient*Survivor*Neighbor*Book Award Winner*American*Democrat*Protester*Activist*Pacifist*Telephone Operator
*Lens Polisher*Waitress*Usher*Telemarketer*Teacher*Poet of the Year*Renter*Homeowner*Pet Owner*Animal Lover*Credit Card Holder*Sis*Aunt Joyce *Editor*Moviegoer*Right-Brained*Reader*Utahn*Mother*Mama*Soccer Mom*Pedestrian*Pianist*Mother-in-Law*Grandmother*Gramma*Big Apple*Gram Cracker*Librarian*Retired*Vacationer*Senior Citizen*Spacey*
*Blogger*Contributer*Pepek the Assassin.