Thursday, March 15, 2007

PT: Opprobrious Words


I was going to sit this one out, but, what the helk...(my 4-yr-old grandson says "we always say 'what the heck.' Because 'what the helk is BAD.'") I guess I was born to be a rebel.

Opprobrious words
Once said, as courtesies like please
Or thank you, or even
I love you

Will float
Like plastic goldfish
Doing tricks
In a cheap bowl

The first rule of nature: everything
According to its kind;
Opprobrious words can not
Be taken back

Blooming everywhere
Over bare ground, through insects
Gravel, dust, marking intricate trails
One molecule at a time

(LOL! I just looked at the definition: it said "Contumelious reproach." Contumelious! Indeed. It also means "shameful, as 'this dark, opprobrious den of shame'." I found some other neat words nearby: opsimath, opsonic, opsonin, opunyia, oquassa....)

.

12 comments:

ann said...

aha... very interesting. I know the word opprobrium, but I'm gonna have to look up 'contumelious'

oh boy, it comes from the Latin tumere to swell, as with wrath... somehow tumescent came to mind... naughty moi!

amazing how you look up one word and you're stuck with your nose in the dictionary half the evening... LOL

btw, great poem, great thinking

Tammy Brierly said...

Good for you for trying this and great job! Hugs

January said...

I read your poem earlier and I like it more each time I read it. And the line, "everything according to its time stays with me."

This is better than you think.

Emily said...

some of those words seem like a totally different language! I liked your definition though...especially third stanza.

Kimberley McGill said...

You have a style I appreciate, and an imagination I envy ---- good job.

Those pesky words - one just leads to another and another and another . . . .

rel said...

Pepek,
The depth here like, Opprobrious words, is greater than at first apparent. These "words" spawn feelings which grow like a tangled web of depression or hatred.
Words said can never be taken back. Good or bad.
You did better than you may have thought at first. Now to the dictionary to look up the rest of your words. ;-)

Pam said...

Words are magic, aren't they? The right word can carry so much meaning and fill the mind with images.

I thought your poem was terrific.

Crafty Green Poet said...

Very true and well written. I particualrly like the ending.

Kay Cooke said...

I love the thought of good, kind, old fashioned words dotted about on the ground like flowers. What a hoot that the real meaning almost meant the opposite!

Catherine said...

I love the poem - I think "o" is one of the best letters of the alphabet and you came up with a great list of "o" words.
I'm looking forward to your PT column next week

Rethabile said...

Love this: "Like plastic goldfish
Doing tricks
In a cheap bowl."
Cool...

Jone said...

Great words to look up. Thanks.