Wednesday, September 27, 2006

I, WASCA


Vaslav Nijinski, the great Russian dancer, suffered from schizophrenia, which often manifested as synaesthesia. In the final stages of his life he was found giving money away on the street, claiming he had suffered more than Christ. Perhaps he had.

My dear friend Maryan Paxton wrote of his last dance:

Am I a tiger,
the Angel of Death,
or God's Appointed?

These questions skriek, while
I dance attack! attack! until
God says
"Stop, Wasca.
Well done. You
danced war."

The music ceases.
I cease.

.

6 comments:

Tammy Brierly said...

Thank you for the fasinating background of this artist/dancer. I'm very sorry for the loss of your friend. She had a real gift!

AscenderRisesAbove said...

wonderful poem and photo. poor Nijinski.

http://ascenderrisesabove.com/wordpress/

Nienke Hinton said...

Serendipitous you should be blogging about synaesthesia. I recently heard an interview with TJ Parker on Writers on Writing and his latest book is about a detective who suffers from synaesthesia. The book is called The Fallen and it's on my wish list!
Have a great weekend, my friend.

jenclair said...

It is a wonderful poem!

Mary Bee said...

That is wonderful that in his mind he could still create such beauty about a place most of us do not know. He was a blessed dancer, for sure, and although he ceased, he is, I'm sure dancing still. Probably better than ever. Angels are known to be light of foot.

liz elayne lamoreux said...

thank you for sharing this...and your PT post as well. i always learn something wondrous when i stop by.