Wednesday, July 19, 2006

WAR is not healthy for children...


and other living things. So said an old poster of the Viet Nam era. Ashraf Osman is an architect from Philadelphia living in Lebanon, who wrote today: "When I was a teenager I lost my faith in God. This week I lost my faith in humanity. And they both don't care."

He is also a poet, who writes of this photograph:

See, I am petty like you,
I care about what's mine like you
and like you I am human at the core...

I have waited and waited and waited
for a better poem to present itself,
for others to say it more delicately than I;

...I have waited for words
more lyrical, more eloquent,
more subtle than this.

But there is no lyricism in death.
There is no eloquence in death.
There is no subtlety in war.

--Ashraf Osman@archmemory.blogspot.com

6 comments:

Joyce Ellen Davis said...

This picture makes me cry, it just tears me up, and I cannot stop looking at it!

Kay Cooke said...

It is a reminder - it is heartwrenching and makes me feel hopeless to help - but I do care - I will never stop caring. Despair is not an option. Thanks for the reminder - we need to be reminded. What a world we live in - so cruel, so beautiful, so kind, so ugly ... Why kids? Why do they have to kill the kids?

Tammy Brierly said...

Speechless!

mareymercy said...

More people should see this picture. More people should read this poem. More people should give a sh*t, but what can we do but speak our one little voice out against the injustice. Thanks for posting this. Heartbreaking stuff.

arch.memory said...

Thank you for the mention!
All the best,
Ashraf

Joyce Ellen Davis said...

Ashraf, John Donne said it best when he wrote: All mankind is of one author and is one volume...any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind....