Tuesday, May 09, 2006



"Turtles," Archie says, "are
peaceable creatures,
legs sprawled awkwardly
out to the sides."

And if anybody knows all about turtles,
Archie does.

You, my love, my own, are a mud-turtle,
short tempered,
armed with a ridge of spines
and snapping jaws.

I, on the other hand, am a box-turtle,
when danger threatens.

Fallen on my back, clawing, toes spread
wide apart, I cannot right myself.
Defending yourself, you hiss,
withdraw into your shell,
and squirt out foul yellow musk.

Archie says, "The most dangerous time
in a turtle's adult life
when it is mating."

If there is anything else
you'd like to know about turtles, my sweet,
except why,
ask Archie.

*Archie Carr, University of Florida


pepektheassassin said...

Crap. I meant to post this on Plodding Taurus!O well.

k said...

Open mouth, insert foot. I see you didn't need me to welcome you to the 'sphere, not one little bit.


pepektheassassin said...

It's good to be welcomed! And Welcome to my blog as well! Not many people even know I'm here.... Come again!

k said...

Oh yes. I like what I see. Archie Carr? The buzzard in question whacked the windshield not far from UF - my alma mater.

And the Museum more or less hosts the fossil digs I like to go on.

When you have a minute, I'm dying to know what this "Pepek" is all about. And who's the assassinee.

pepektheassassin said...

Pepek is an imaginary uncle, the title character of a series of poems I wrote, who killed a policeman for beating a horse. I guess he has sort of become my alter ego....

My husband is an amateur fossil-digger, too. He used to love to go on digs.

k said...

I'm glad to hear about the policeman. He deserved it.

I'm not sure I would say that so fast if it were a real-life situation. But then, animal abusers very often abuse humans, too. Especially those they claim to love. And I have very strong feelings about our right to defend ourselves.

Oddly, lots of other humans who advocate self-defense seem to think it shouldn't apply when someone is simply beating you from force of habit.

An alter-ego assassin could be a very good thing to have.

Crafty Green Poet said...

This is excellent , comparing ourselves to turtles. Glad that this weeks Poetry Thursday exercise led me here to read this.