Wednesday, November 28, 2007

What a Difference a Day Makes!







It rained ice today.

I stood out in the cold and wet for a long time, letting the water freeze on my face, waving my arms and blowing out clouds of warm fog.

Then, inside, I sat at the window for a long time, watching the wind blow waves of sleet across the road. It was a super storm, loud and flashy, the kind that lays ice on telephone wires and turns tree limbs to crystal. The boys sat on my lap, all of us warm and quiet together, until it was too dark to see.

Something happened then. A high, better than any drug-induced high, a feeling that almost burst my mind apart. I can't find a name for it, that feeling of intense awareness and content. What a joy it is to be alive!...

...We made paper snowflakes and hung them in the window.


From CHRYSALIS, an excerpt.
.

No comments: